Friday 17 September 2010

A bucket of dripping

The following is a genuine correspondence, held in the Lincolnshire Archives, following the storm surge on the East Coast in 1953.  The participants are the Clerk of Lindsey County Council and  Mr LD Henshaw Esq. proprietor of the 'Wizard Café', Trusvillle Holiday Estate, Mablethorpe:

       8 June 1953

Dear Sirs,
As a result of the flooding, earlier in the year, 414lb of dripping was taken from me in order to be inspected by the Sanitary Inspector. You will appreciate that this was well over three months, and I feel it is high time that, either the dripping be replaced or I be compensated in cash.
I should appreciate the return of my white enamel bucket which is valued at 16 shillings.
Yours faithfully, LD Henshaw



12th of June 1953
Dear Sir,
I have your letter of the eighth instant with reference to dripping removed for inspection, etc, which is receiving attention. It would be of assistance to me if you would let me know to whom your bucket was lent.
Yours Faithfully, Clerk of the County Council



        15th of June 1953

Dear Sir,
I am in receipt of your letter of the twelfth  instant, and in reply would inform you that the enamel bucket in question was taken away by the same man who took the dripping to Great Steeping airfield.
Yours faithfully LD Henshaw


17th of June 1953
Dear Sir,
Floods on the Lincolnshire coast, Condemned Dripping etc
With further reference to your letter of the eighth instant I understand that two condemnation certificates were sent to you from Great Steeping and that on 12th  March, 1953, your manager Mister Hoyland, signed and returned one surrendering the 414lb of dripping to which you refer in your letter. I would therefore suggest that you submit a claim to the Lord Mayors and National Flood and Tempest Distress Fund for the value of the dripping as part of your stock in trade to the Mablethorpe and Sutton Flood Distress Relief Committee, Council Offices, Mablethorpe, sending the certificate retained by you for the information of the committee. If the certificate has been mislaid, a copy of it can be obtained through me.
I have also ascertained that your enamel bucket is still at Great Steeping aerodrome in the care of Mr Thompson and will be delivered to your café the next time transport is in your vicinity, unless you have arranged for its collection in the meantime.
Yours Faithfully, Clerk of the County Council


No comments:

Post a Comment